Since its founding, Knouse has recognized the importance of "Environmental Stewardship" and is committed to preserving natural resources now and for future generations.
Philosophy based on the Five Rs – Recycle, Repair, Reuse, Reduce, Rethink
- We recycle 94% of our solid waste.
- Our manufacturing plants burn recycled motor oil.
- Employing energy conservation efforts like powering electricity with turbines and solar power. Additionally, Knouse owns and operates 14,000 solar panels at their Peach Glen plant which generates over 4,000,000 kwh of electricity annually.
- Single-serve apple sauce packaging has been improved by design and material volume, eliminating access material for a packaging reduction.
- Our growers are involved in Federal soil conservation programs.
Unused fruit components are beneficially used instead of discarded:
- Partner with Penn State University in developing cattle feed that utilizes apple waste
- Involved in regional effort to develop bio-fuels that utilize apple waste
- Involved in regional initiative to utilize cherry pits as a furnace fuel component
- Peel and core material generated from production is sent to cider mills for juice processing, and fruit waste is used as compost to eliminate land filling
Waste Reduction & Recycling Awards:
PA DEP Commercial Recycling Award
WV DEP Environmental Stewardship Award
PA Governor’s Waste Minimization Award
PA Governor’s Certificate of Merit
Local Community Awards:
Adams County (PA) Environmental Stewardship Award
Water Conservation Awards:
PA House of Representatives Citation
Wildlife Preservation Awards:
PA Fish Commission Award for Conewago Creek Project
PA Fish Commission's "Take Pride in PA" Certificate of Merit